There's no end
to the things you might know, depending how far beyond Zebra you go! {Dr. Seuss}

Friday, July 30, 2010

A Farraginous Fun Fact Friday!

So today I had planned to share with you authors who wrote two or more unpublished novels before they published their first sellable novel. You know, to make most of us feel better about ourselves! Almost every writer has a hard drive or desk drawer with at least one novel that won’t ever feel the glory of publication (probably a good thing, too!). The problem is, it’s not something authors put on their websites because it's not pertinent information. Authors will mention it in an interview if it comes up, but I couldn’t find much on the internet. The info might be on an author’s wikipedia page, but I’m weary of taking information from there if I can’t confirm it from a credible site. This is all I found:
Nicholas Sparks wrote two unpublished novels before The Notebook was sold in 1996. By the way, here’s a little nudge of encouragement for 'ya: His first novel was a slush-pile discovery! Janet Evanovich wrote five unsold novels before her first romance novel, Hero at Large, was published in 1987. J. K. Rowling was writing novels for adults before Harry Potter flew into her head (on a broomstick, no doubt). In the book Conversations with J. K. Rowling, she mentions she has a drawer dedicated to those few “terrible” manuscripts.
Is that all for today? Of course not!!! I can’t leave my Friday posts so lackluster! The following are a few links I found when I was searching information for this post, a farrago of random trivia and fun stuff! Enjoy and happy procrastinating!!!
How many novels did you write before selling one? These are results from an unofficial survey taken by author Tobias Buckell. It has percentages and comments from anonymous writers on how many novels they’ve written.
A plethora of Quizzes on Goodreads such as:
And a whole bunch more! If you're on Goodreads, be sure to friend me!

On zazzle.com, customized apparel, accessories, and office supplies for authors! (And pretty much every other kind of occupation. Perfect gifts for someone special!) 

From Drexel University, the all-time bestselling books and authors (as of sometime in 2009). 
An article naming the ten bestselling fiction authors of all time (as of March 2010). Some names may surprise you! 

To those of you who are published or soon-to-be published, how many novels did you write before you wrote “the one”? To those of you yet-to-be published, how many novels have you already written? Do you think your current novel is “the one”?

To answer my own questions, I completed one novel last November during NaNoWriMo. I didn’t bother to revise it much. My current novel-in-progress is definitely not the one. It’s practice for sure. I anticipate I have many more novels yet to write before I write my first publishable one. Authordom is a long, slow dream so good thing I enjoy it, and I sure hope you all do, too! Have a fabulous weekend, zigzaggers!!!

13 comments:

Journaling Woman said...

Well if we count all the short stories I have written, then I probably have at least a couple of books. :) But, for an actual book, I have portions of two books written.

Teresa

Jennifer Shirk said...

Well, I wrote two before selling, and I guess that makes five and a half I've written so far. :)

Enjoyed looking at the top ten list for fiction sellers.

T. Anne said...

Love these links! I checked out the site regarding old MS's and found I'm in good company! Have a great weekend Laura!

Tahereh said...

awesome links, and thanks so much for the encouragement!

love your posts!

Matthew Rush said...

LOTS of great stuff here, thanks for sharing Laura!

Today's guest blogger is Rose Cooper!

Misery said...

well, this really DID make me feel better :) thanks for sharing :)

Jemi Fraser said...

Really interesting stuff! :)

I've always written, but never for anyone but myself, so I'm not really sure how many I've written. I do know this is the 1st one I've written with the thought of attempting to publish.

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

I have a one-track mind. It never occurred to me to start a second novel before finding a home for my first. Of course, from the first draft of the book to the published version, it underwent numerous changes, so it’s almost like writing several completely different books.

Alison Stevens said...

I've written one and am almost half-way through a second. And a friend of mine wrote five before she got one published. I've probably got a few to go... :)

Jen said...

Great post Laura!!!! I always love these!

Laura Marcella said...

Teresa- Welcome to Wavy Lines! I know what you mean about the short stories, lol! Thanks for the comment and for following!

Jennifer- Good for you! And I'm glad you liked the list. :)

T. Anne- It's good to know we're not the only ones by far!

Tahereh- Thanks! I'm glad you liked them!!!

Matthew- You're welcome and thanks for stopping by!

Misery- Yay! Knowing I'm not alone makes me feel better, too! :)

Jemi- Ooo, that's exciting! I bet it will get published, too!

Jane- Lol, you're lucky then! And that's true about all those drafts. It really is like writing several books!

Alison- You're not alone! I've probably got a few to go, too! But that just means our publishable one will look really good and we won't feel embarrassed by it later!

Jen- Thanks! I'm glad you liked it!!!

Miriam S. Forster said...

Lordy, um... four YA novels and one middle-grade.

I have no idea which one will get me an agent, but I have high hopes for the one I'm sending out this month. :)

Laura Marcella said...

Miriam- You're in excellent company! I sure hope this is "the one" for you! :) Good luck!