There's no end
to the things you might know, depending how far beyond Zebra you go! {Dr. Seuss}

Monday, October 24, 2011

Monday Quote Day!

The two most engaging powers of an author are to make new things familiar, and familiar things new.
{Samuel Johnson}
Many beginning writers end their stories when the real story is just ready to begin.
{Stanley Schmidt} 
Dare yourself to believe in your creativity, wherever it may lead you. Trust that where it leads is exactly where you’re supposed to be.
{Sarah Ban Breathnach}
The difference between perseverance and obstinacy is one comes from a strong will, and the other comes from a strong won't.
{Henry Ward Beecher}
Detail makes the difference between boring and terrific writing. It’s the difference between a pencil sketch and a lush oil painting. As a writer, words are your paint. Use all the colors.
{Rhys Alexander}
It is perfectly okay to write garbage–as long as you edit brilliantly.
{C. J. Cherryh}
Try any goddamn thing you like, no matter how boringly normal or outrageous. If it works, fine. If it doesn't, toss it. Toss it even if you love it.
{Stephen King}
If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative.
{Woody Allen}
If you are pointing out one of the things a story is about, then you are very probably right; if you are pointing out the only thing a story is about you are very probably wrong–even if you're the author.
{Neil Gaiman}
The human mind is like an umbrella. It functions best when open.
{Max Gropius}
Happy Monday and happy writing, Zigzaggers!!!

12 comments:

DL Hammons said...

The Woody Allen quote has always been one of my favorites! :)

J.L. Campbell said...

Good words to bear in mind!

Tara Tyler said...

always love the quotes =)

Faith E. Hough said...

Thanks for the inspiration!!

Saumya said...

Love the Woody Allen one. Scratch that. I always love Monday quote days.

Laura Pauling said...

Neil Gaiman is pretty smart! :)

Margo Berendsen said...

Ah! Love that Woody Allen one!!! (for some reason I have always loved quotes about failure) :)

And the umbrella one. Awesome.

Karen Strong said...

Always love the Monday quote posts. :)

Love the Sarah Ban Breathnach quote.

Laura Marcella said...

DL- I like that one a lot, too! It makes me feel better about all my failings, LoL.

J.L.- Most definitely! Hope you're having a great week. :)

Tara- Thank you and I'm glad you stopped by!

Faith- You're welcome and thanks for stopping by!

Saumya- LoL, I'm glad you enjoyed this batch of quotes!

Laura- He sure is! I like what he says about writing.

Margo- They're good pick-me-ups! Hope you're having a great week.

Karen- I'm glad you enjoy them!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I like the writing garbage one!

Abby Fowers said...

I love quote days! These are fabulous!

And have I ever told you how much I love the "zebra" thing you got going on over here? Love it!

Laura Marcella said...

Diane- I like that one, too! It's such a great point about the writing process.

Abby- Thank you very much! Zebras have been my favorite animal ever since I was a little kid. I have a big collection of zebras and zebra print stuff, so it made perfect sense for me to incorporate it into my blog too!