There's no end
to the things you might know, depending how far beyond Zebra you go! {Dr. Seuss}

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Wednesday's Writing Workout - Halloween Theme!

Catalina Ponor
(Romania)

On the weekends, prompts keep my creativity warmed up so I don’t “pull a muscle” on Monday morning. During the week, prompts jump-start my writing routine. Consider using your own characters and settings for these prompts. You might come up with dazzling new ideas for your WiP! All you’ll need for these exercises is your writing materials and an open mind. Remember to drink lots of water and stretch!
Start it up!
Exercise 1
It’s nearly Halloween! Think about what frightened you as a child. In the spirit of this bewitching holiday, write a children’s story or poem based on those fears.
Ramp it up! 
Exercise 2
Mark Twain said, “I have spent most of my time worrying about things that have never happened.” Write a story in which your character’s worst worries do happen, or write a scene in your wip where your MC’s worst fear comes true.
Burn it up!
Exercise 3: from Writer’s Digest
You planned to attend a friend’s Halloween party and plugged her address into your GPS system, but the system guided you somewhere else. Oddly enough, there is a strange man waiting for you at this mysterious place. “Sorry I had to rig your GPS, but this is urgent,” he says.
Cool it down.
Exercise 4
Write six ways to describe the smell of fear. 
Every Wednesday I post prompts and exercises for your “writing workout” so keep checking back! Happy writing!!!

14 comments:

Laura Pauling said...

That picture looks absolutely painful!

Halloween is such a fun topic to write about and a great setting with so much potential!

DL Hammons said...

I'm with Laura, looking at that picture makes my body ache!! :)

Laurel Garver said...

These are all really fun. I might try the first one as a poem prompt. I used to believe that even the light from lightning could kill you if it touched you! Yep, I'd hide in a window-less stairwell sobbing every storm. It was a great day when my scientific knowledge was brought up to speed!

Stina Lindenblatt said...

My next project is YA horror. These are great exercises to get me ready for it. :D

Bluestocking said...

Ohhh... #3 and #4 sound tough. Halloween provides lots of fodder to play with. Thanks!

Kathi Oram Peterson said...

Great writing exercises. I need to shape up my writing and this will help do the trick. Thanks. You gotta love Mark Twain. :)

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Great prompts! I'm trying to remember what scared me as a child...might help me write a scary scene in the new book! :)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

If I wrote what scared me as a kid, it wouldn't be a children's story.

Julie Dao said...

I was afraid of VAMPIRES as a kid! I used to sleep with the covers around my neck (as if that would keep a bloodthirsty vampire away) and it's become a lifelong habit because I STILL do that! Might be a funny children's story to explore! Thanks Laura :)

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

Great exercises as always, Laura! And that one from Writer's Digest - I want to know what's going to HAPPEN! :)

Clarissa Draper said...

Oh, I like #4. I'm going to give it a try. Thanks for all your writing workouts. You must put so much effort into these.

Laura Marcella said...

Laura- LoL, I assure you that's an easy flexibility skill for gymnasts!

DL- Hahaha! Then I don't recommend trying it!

Laurel- Awww, that is a scary fear! It would make a good poem or story. Hope you write it!

Stina- I'm glad to hear it! Good luck and have fun!

Bluestocking- It sure does!

Kathi- Thanks and remember to take a break with some Halloween candy! ;)

Elizabeth- I hope it does! Or even think about what scares your own children.

Diane- Eeeek, sounds like you had some frightening fears!

Julie- Awww! That is funny now. Have fun with it and good luck!

Susanna- Thank you! You should definitely write it and find out. :)

Rachna Chhabria said...

Great prompts, Laura. I like them a lot. Have a wonderful weekend.

Laura Marcella said...

Rachna- Thank you! I hope you had a great weekend. We got snow here and my town lost power for 24 hours. Very unusual weather for October!